- ALKYDIGGER NOSTALGIA ELIMINATOR 2 -
In the AlkyDigger Nostalgia Eliminator 2 class, ten cars came to duke it out in the 5.00 index contest. Defending series Champion Jason Scott wheeled his bantam altered to the pole position with a 5.001 at 135 mph followed closely by points leader Garry Wheeler Jr's 5.005 at 131 mph. Bruce Dodson's 5.02 at 135 was good for the number three spot as Mike Caknupp and Carl Johnson rounded out the top five qualifiers heading into first round.
Garry Wheeler Jr - Kevin Wendland
FINAL NE 2 QUALIFYING ORDER:
1. Jason Scott (Weatherford, TX) - 5.001 @ 135
2. Garry Wheeler Jr (Wagoner, OK) - 5.005 @ 131
3. Bruce Dodson (Grand Prairie, TX) - 5.02 @ 135
4. Mike Caknupp (Choctaw, OK) - 5.03 @ 136
5. Carl Johnson (Iola, TX) - 5.06 @ 136
6. Steve Sicking (Wichita Falls, TX) - 5.07 @ 138
7. Robin Rish (Edmond, OK) - 5.10 @ 137
8. Kevin Wendland (Commerce, TX) - 5.19 @ 132
9. Tim Cruce (Ft. Worth, TX) - 5.39 @ 127
10. Mark Cottrell (Choctaw, OK) - 4.95 @ 138
11. Jeff Cameron (Magnolia, TX) - No Time
In semi-final round action Jason Scott took out Mark Cottrell to advance to his first final of the season to meet Garry Wheeler Jr. Wheeler, fresh of his win at the season opener a few weeks prior, had a bye run into the finals and was hunting back to back wins to start the season.
Scott and Wheeler brought their machines to life and a bout between the number one and two qualifiers would soon determine a victor at the Spring Nostalgia Nationals in Texas. As the cars crept carefully into the stage beams, the ambers flashed and Wheeler was out with a -.006 red light and wasted a stout 5.003 at 132 mph. Scott made a smooth and clean 5.02 at 135 mph pass to claim victory and had a "perfect" race by qualifying number one and winning the event, maximizing his points earning potential and capped off a stellar effort at North Star Dragway by joining his close friend Steve Dunkin in the winners circle.
NE2 Winner - Jason Scott
- ALKYDIGGER NOSTALGIA ELIMINATOR 3 -
The AlkyDigger Nostalgia Eliminator 3 racing was equally intense as fifteen cars were battling for position in the 5.50 index class. Phil Stegner scored his first career SHRA top qualifying effort with a 5.5002 at 124 mph. Craig Kindiger's 5.503 at 124 mph was a close second and Jacob Reeves scored the number three spot with a 5.51 at 122 mph. Josh Moseley and Bobby Bates rounded out the top five qualifiers with 5.60's as a large portion of the field fell under the index on both qualifiers and were shuffled to the bottom of the ladder.
Bobby Bates - Phil Stegner
FINAL NE 3 QUALIFYING ORDER:
1. Phil Stegner (Oklahoma City, OK) - 5.5002 @ 124
2. Craig Kindiger (Gainesville, TX) - 5.503 @ 124
3. Jacob Reeves (Mabank, TX) - 5.51 @ 122
4. Josh Moseley (Combine, TX) - 5.600 @ 114
5. Bobby Bates (Allen, TX) - 5.604 @ 119
6. Bob Scoggins (Myra, TX) - 5.63 @ 121
7. Robert Springstead (Azle, TX) - 5.64 @ 118
8. Donnie Walker (Garland, TX) - 5.72 @ 117
9. George Mullen (San Antonio, TX) - 6.62 @ 98
10. Dustin Bradford (San Antonio, TX) - 5.49 @ 116
11. Doug Morrison (Gainesville, TX) - 5.488 @ 122
12. Keith Darrow (Forney, TX) - 5.466 @ 122
13. Gary Mitchell (Dallas, TX) - 5.462 @ 119
14. Michael Graves (Burleson, TX) - 5.44 @ 119
15. Dusty Rose (Oklahoma City, OK) - 5.26 @ 129
In the NE 3 semi-finals, Dustin Bradford advanced past Keith Darrow to move into his second straight final round of the season. Gary Mitchell would take on Bradford in the final round after defeating Dusty Rose in the semi-finals. Mitchell was hoping to score his first career SHRA win while Bradford was simply adding to his points lead at this point in the game and hoped to cap off his efforts win the win in Texas.
At the starting line Bradford and Mitchell brought their cars to the line, staging carefully as the reaction times have proven critical in SHRA competition. Off the line Bradford took almost a full tenth of a second advantage which left little hope for Mitchell in this extremely competitive class. At the stripe, Bradford's 5.48 at 116 mph broke out far less than Mitchell's 5.42 at 123 as Dustin Bradford scored the victory and heads into our next event at San Antonio Raceway, his home track, leading the points in NE 3.
NE3 Winner - Dustin Bradford