The Outlaw Fuel Altered Association, presented by Lone Star Forklift, packed the pits at Thunder Valley Raceway Park for the third points race of the six race season. Entering this halfway point of the tour, Nick Poloson and Tom Wood's "Sundown" nitro burner sat atop the points standings with back to back final round appearances and a win in Shreveport to start the season. With fierce competition from a twelve car field of fuel altereds, the pressure was on along with the heat on a sunny summer afternoon in Noble, Oklahoma.
After two rounds of qualifying, Donny McSwain, winner of the season opener at North Star Dragway in May, found himself atop the pack in the "Wild One" blown alcohol entry with a 4.002. Defending series Champion Jimmy Jones and the "Texas Tremor" team slid in the number two spot with a 4.004. Mark Billington, Raymond Dawson, Nick Poloson and Eric Buchanan rounded out the top half of the field heading into eliminations. The sun had set and the teams were back in the pits preparing for first round eliminations under the lights at Thunder Valley.
Final Qualifying Order:
1. Donny McSwain (Rockwall, TX) - 4.002 @ 179
2. Jimmy Jones (Cleburne, TX) - 4.004 @ 178
3. Mark Billington (Prosper, TX) - 4.10 @ 140
4. Raymond Dawson (Nevada, TX) - 4.113 @ 171
5. Nick Poloson (Bulverde, TX) - 4.118 @ 156
6. Eric Buchanan (Justin, TX) - 4.15 @ 178
7. Mark Bowman (Oklahoma City, OK) - 4.18 @ 174
8. Ken Singleton (Chickasha, OK) - 4.23 @ 154
9. Mark Hunter (Tyler, TX) - 4.24 @ 155
10. Clint Cross (Crossroads, TX) - 4.49 @ 174
11. John Broussard (Lake Charles, LA) - 4.53 @ 154
12. Mary Reep (Austin, TX) - No Time
Opening up the first round of eliminations was points leader Poloson up against John Broussard's "Purple Haze" from Louisiana. The two quickest winners from this round would advance to the final in this Chicago style affair. During the burnout, rods made a quick exit from the side of the block in Broussard's entry which left a trail of oil across the right lane and clearly ended their weekend on a bad note. Broussard climbed out of the car and over the wall and could do nothing but watch Poloson blast to a header flaming 3.92 at 186 mph to take the win. After a brief clean up, Mark Billington's "Magic Dragon" and Mark Hunter were up for battle. Hunter struck the tires at the hit, while Billington ripped off a stout 3.86 at 189 mph for the win. Mark Bowman's "Blown Income" was up next alongside top qualifier McSwain. Bowman went red at the hit and both cars struggled for traction as McSwain took the win with a 5.08.